Monday, March 10, 2008

Why 'Pura Vida?'


For any of you who have been around me and/or my family long enough, you probably know that "pura vida" is part of the Schaub (now Lindahl) family vernacular.  As you can tell by the Wikipedia definition below (yes, a credible source, I know), it represents a lifestyle; it is to Costa Rica what "Aloha" is to Hawaiians.  I like to think of it in terms of more than just a relaxed lifestyle; it has more of an existential meaning to it.  It's the enjoyment of the actual experience.  Since I created this blog so that family & friends can see what Dan & I are up to, I guess it is aptly named--just a snapshot of life as we live it.  Pura vida!

Pura vida:  used by Costa Ricans since 1956; literally translated means "Pure Life."  Contextually, it means "full of life," "purified life," "this is living," "going great," etc.  It is used as a greeting, a farewell, & to express satisfaction.  Costa Ricans use the phrase to express a philosophy of strong community, perseverance, good sprits, enjoying life slowly, and celebrating good fortune, small or large.

No comments: