Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.


For those of you in my non-linguistics posse, the above nonsense is known as a syntax "tree."  During the last three months, I have been sweating out every Wednesday night cursing the heavens in futility as I struggled to complete diabolical problem sets involving constructions such as the above.  Actually, they were more complicated because our professor wanted us to actually be able to explain things like this.  How dare she hold us accountable for learning!  Duh!  Anyway, I am saying farewell to syntax because this Wednesday marks my last evening of stressing about abstract language that I appreciate greatly but will never truly comprehend.  Fare thee well, Syntax!  It will be a while before you hear from me.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Um...please tell me when you would EVER use this in "real" life?

This is why I do what I do.

ww said...

Your post brings new meaning to the famous sentence, because, for you, colorless green ideas will be sleeping for a long time. ;)

And, Mona, believe it or not, we do use this.

ww said...

P.S. Wanna hear a sentence whose syntax freaks me out? "The woman baked and ate a cake." Awesome.